Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Castle On Our Own Attempt


The wind this morning was softly blowing and the weather outside was slightly chilly. Before I left my house, I had to take on some warm clothes to protect my sensitive body from a cold. Today's weather was forecast to be patchily raining in the afternoon. Grandpa told me to take an umbrella but I don't have that one. I won't take it even though I had as it is unusual to take the umbrella for men in the UK. The English weather, though changes very often, is very lovely for me. I like it especially the sunny weather because it is slightly cold though radiantly shining.

The three friends including me went out our house and walked to the station as yesterday. However, I and one of friends had to run back home as we left our phones forgotten. We both were hurried up as it is important to arrive to the college in time. When we walked back having taken our cells, a Malaysian old lady, who is on duty to stop all vehicles running on the road for pedestrians, asked us if we found what we had forgot. We replied her with our positive answers. She showed a smile on her face indicating that she was happy for us. We expressed our thanks to her. And both of our feet were speedy again to the tube station.

On an arrival at the Hounslow West, I was surprised to encounter that the station was crowded with commuters waiting for the Underground coming from the Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3,4 and 5. When the train comes into the underground station, all daily travelers to their each work get on it. Unfortunately, all seats were taken and I had to be standing up for about an hour in the tube. After two or three stations were passed, three middle aged ladies got on the train and like I did, they also had to stand up beside me. To my surprise, they were very talkative and speaking a bit loudly. I was reading there but no concentraton could be established. My book had to be kept into the school-bag.

One hour later, the tube arrives at the Russell Square Station where many commuters including three of us got off and chose our respective directions. For us to the SOAS. When we got at the front of the Main Building, one of my classmates was sitting on the bench under a tree outside the building. It was an Italian girl, Ms Francesca, who can speak three languages--English, Japanese and her mother tougue, Italian. Raising up one of her hands, she first greeted me with saying 'Hellow'. And my positive reply swiftly flew to her. I was waiting for her coming from her bench standing up at the staircases into the Mail Building where our classroom is in. I asked her if she had breakfast. She nodded her head and said 'yes'. It was the first conversation with her this morning. I think I was happy at that moment. Don't you think I should be so?

Our class room is in the forth floor that is the topmost one. Actually the building consists of six floors covering lower ground and ground floors. There is a lift but I didn't use it as I wanted to climb up together with my classmate by talking about this or that making an informal conversation and to have some physical exercises which is got free. When we both got there, there were other students sitting on chairs in a common room waiting for the time when the class tarts. I asked them if the room was found and one of them replied 'yes' but it was still locked. I set out to find where it was because I reckened that I had never been there. However, when I got there I discovered it was the same room where we yesterday had our class in.

At exact 10:00 am, Ms Catherine, a class teacher, came in and said 'Hello'. Our class today started with a book "8-Week Pre-sessional Student Course Book-2009" which is particularly issued for the students like us for the academic purpose only. The book renders us some ideas mainly for the academic writing. The students had to discuss on a relevant issue given in the book. A teacher's duty is just to correct or guide what we think. She did not explain a lot but was examining her class and listening to them. Thus, we were allowed to have self-improvement and self-confidence as well. It is my preference to have such a good guidance. I found that some students expected to have some teachings from her. But at our level, though not as high as others comparatively, we don't need to anticipate to get such a thing from exprienced lecturers who have already known our academic status to some extent. We must build our castle on our own attempt. Am I right?

No comments: